Monday, October 26, 2009

32 Days Post-Op

So now that I have been basking in the glow of being able to walk and enjoy baths for a few days, I have come to realize a few things:

Don't walk as much as you think you can. There is a difference between walking one's daughter and husband to their respective schools and "Power Walking" which is my usual mode of travel. On the weekend I found that my regular power walking had me pretty much exhausted 20 minutes from home and then I had another 20 minute walk back.

Don't sit in regular chairs if you can at all help it. The first couple of days after my 4 week mark saw me sitting rather than reclining. Not the best decision on my part. Standing is actually better for me than just sitting. Today I was back to reclining while I work and I'm feeling much better.

WEAR your binder. Somewhere around the 4-week mark, you will be told that you can now wear control-top panties instead of your binder. Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean that you should. I spent Saturday afternoon/evening wearing control-top panties and was swollen and really uncomfortable by the end of the day. That day was combined with lots of sitting in the car and sitting in a theatre to see The Toxic Avenger: Musical (loads of fun!), but yesterday I wore my binder again and it was much better. And it was better in spite of the fact that I was singing at full-strength at my Sweeney Todd rehearsal, and spent 2 1/2 hours actively building a twig roof for our outdoor play structure. (I used the reciprocating saw, drilled, measured, carried lights twigs etc.) I was sure that when I took off my binder to have my shower at day's end that I would have been swollen beyond recognition, but I wasn't. I was tired, most definitely, but not as swollen as I'd been the day before wearing the control-top panties. I am thinking about creating a control-top pantie regime. Start with an hour on and increase it daily - that sort of thing. Or sleep with it on, since most people don't tend to expend lots of energy at night.

For those interested in TOO MUCH INFORMATION ... So you were wondering when it's okay to have sex? You'll have to go by how you feel (be 100% open and honest with your partner about discomfort), but I had sex for the first time post-op last night and... it was freaking great! (HURRAY!) David was a bit scared about hurting me (he didn't) so it began rather tentatively, but I have to say that waiting a month to have sex certainly made for a REALLY satisfying experience. REALLY satisfying. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!)

The Doc said when I last saw her that you really do need the full 6 weeks to recover and I'm buying it, because when I try to go about my day as if I don't have a 19 inch scar across my abdomen, I start hurting and become exhausted. I'm loving the being able to walk, but I'm not going to push really hard. A collective sound of shock can be heard from all who know me well. Thankfully I'm in the luxurious position of having day-to-day work which involves typing and lots of phone calls. I can do that from the recliner in our family room using my laundry-folding board across the armrests. I don't have to run after little kids all day, I have a spouse and child who help with the heavier housework. To do this operation without help, without a family who is 100% supportive would be terrible. For those of you considering it, make sure that you've got a support system for at least the first month. Don't be a martyr. Lean on your people. They love you and want you to be healthy.

Cheers!
Heather

4 comments:

  1. Great results! I'm glad you are recuperating very nicely. It usually takes a while to feel better. You are a very lucky girl! Great tummy tuck before and after results!
    tummy tuck surgery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post,You are helping others to grow their knowledge by sharing such a valuable information about Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty Treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%
    I appreciate your transparency
    I am 18 days and am swollen and still hunched over, I am having some cabin fever I think because I am having botched nightmares of being sewn too tight so I can’t stand up 😖
    And then talking to other people saying I should already be like thisnor that..but after reading here I feel relieved everyone’s journey is different...and I need to be kind to myself , keep help close and be patient
    Close and

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. www.surgeongate.org/michigan-plastic-surgery/michigan-tummy-tuck/

    ReplyDelete